The Dawn Wall film screening accompanied with Climbing Workshops and marketplace at the Richmond Oval.
Date, Time & Location:
Sunday, Nov 18, 2018 | Richmond Oval
Clinics & Marketplace 12:00pm – 4:00pm
Film Screening 4:00pm
The Dawn Wall
Director – Josh Lowell & Peter Mortimer
Year of Production – 2018
Length – 100 min
Country of Origin – Canada
In January, 2015, American rock climbers Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson captivated the world with their effort to climb The Dawn Wall, a seemingly impossible 3,000 foot rock face in Yosemite National Park, California.
The pair lived on the sheer vertical cliff for weeks, igniting a frenzy of global media attention.
But for Tommy Caldwell, The Dawn Wall was much more than just a climb. It was the culmination of a lifetime defined by overcoming obstacles. At the age of 22, the climbing prodigy was taken hostage by rebels in Kyrgyzstan. Shortly after, he lost his index finger in an accident, but resolved to come back stronger. When his marriage fell apart, he escaped the pain by fixating on the extraordinary goal of free climbing The Dawn Wall.
Blurring the line between dedication and obsession, Caldwell and his partner Jorgeson spend six years meticulously plotting and practicing their route. On the final attempt, with the world watching, Caldwell is faced with a moment of truth. Should he abandon his partner to fulfill his ultimate dream, or risk his own success for the sake of their friendship?
JOSH LOWELL (Director)
Josh Lowell is the founder of Big UP Productions and has been producing and directing climbing and outdoor adventure films for nearly 20 years. Along with co-director Peter Mortimer, Josh’s feature documentaries including King Lines (2007) have won dozens of festival awards, garnered two Emmys, and aired on Discovery, NBC, Netflix, and other global platforms. A passionate climber himself, Lowell and his brother, Brett Lowell, spent seven years documenting Tommy Caldwell’s quest to climb the Dawn Wall, including over 60 days of filming while living on the wall with the climbers.
PETER MORTIMER (Director)
Peter Mortimer is the founder of US-based production company Sender Films. Since earning his MFA in film from University of Southern California, Peter has made documentaries, TV series and commercials in the adventure and climbing space, including the Emmy-winning King Lines (2007), The First Ascent Series (2010) and Valley Uprising (2014). Peter is a lifelong rock climber and a fan of the sport’s history and characters. With The Dawn Wall, he brings one of the greatest climbing tales of a generation to an audiences across the world, and shines a light on Tommy Caldwell’s exceptional life journey and tenacious drive.
Community Climbing Market
12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Rock Climbing Shoe Demos from La Sportiva and Black Diamond
- Portaledge demo from Black Diamond
- Rock climbing Product from MEC and DMM
Workshops are free of charge, first come first serve with limited capacity. Arrive early!
- 12pm to 3pm, Zlagboard Challlenge , would you be able to bit the world record? 2.44 minutes on a 20mm edge…
- 12pm to 2pm MEC jugging demo, practice your rope ascent skills. It is not as easy as it sounds.
- 1pm to 2pm, DMM, get a chance to learn how to build anchors for multi-pitch with an ACMG Guide, Ina Middleton
- 1pm to 3pm, Rock climbing video assessment by Oval ACMG Climbing coach.
- 2pm to 3pm, Climbing presentation by Kim and Graham McGrenere from MEC. Meet two of our best BC climbers and get a chance to ask them any questions about their climbing journey
- Rental equipment not included. Payment must be done at the front desk in the Oval’s lobby
- Oval Waiver 2018 must be signed before getting access to the Market place. Please print and bring your waiver. Waivers also available on site.
- ID required, Drinks (+19) will be serve on site from, Fuggles and Warlock starting at 3pm . Snacks available for purchase.
- Free lockers, change rooms and showers available
ROX THEATRE (Richmond Olympic Oval)
6111 River Rd, Richmond, BC