Date / Time:
Sunday March 5, 2023
Part 1: Rescue Me: Behind the Scenes of Search and Rescue with Cathalynn Labonte-Smith
Join Cathalynn Cindy Labonté-Smith and members of North Shore Rescue, in conversation about memorable missions in the wilds of BC. Also, Cathalynn will read from her new book, Rescue Me: Behind the Scenes of Search and Rescue.
Part 2: Survive Outside with Megan Eastwood
Did you know that most SAR rescues are of regular people on regular trails? You don’t need to be hanging off the side of a mountain or miles into the backcountry to need rescue. The most common reason for rescues are trips & falls on commonly used trails.
Did you know it usually takes SAR 3 hours to get to you (yes even a couple of kms from the trailhead) and the average is 8 hours. Could you stay warm enough for min 3 hours/average 8 hours with what you are wearing/carrying?
This survive outside workshop covers the basic AdventureSmart curriculum of the 3Ts. Trip planning/Training/Taking the essentials. Plus tips on
• How to build a quick & easy shelter with 300 grams of equipment
• How to make your cell phone last longer in the back country
• How to make yourself heard/seen easier by the rescuers
• Questions to ask yourself about the trip/group you are heading out with, to try and prevent needing a rescue.
• Do you know where to find wood to start a fire in a wet forest?
• Do you know how to find your coordinates on your cell phone?