VIMFF Photo Competition Rules - 2021
The key rules, summarized as a service, are:
- Images must NOT have a watermark or signature included – this will result in disqualification.
- Photos must be submitted through the VIMFF website (www.vimff.org) No mail-in or hand-delivered submissions will be accepted.
- Images must be submitted in JPG or PNG format ONLY, with a maximum file size of 10MB, and a minimum size of 1080 pixels (72ppi) on the shortest dimension. Photographs selected as winners must be submitted in a resolution of at least 3300 pixels (300ppi) on the short side – failure to do so may result in the prize being handed to another image.
- The photographer grants certain non-exclusive rights to VIMFF to use the images for promotional, marketing and related purposes. The photographer has the right, but not the obligation, to grant additional rights, as described below.
- The photographer allows for their email address to be included on the VIMFF email list to receive the latest film festival news and surveys. (You can opt-out at any time. Your email will not be sold to any third parties. Your data may be stored or transmitted outside of Canada, including in the United States.)
These are the rules for the Vancouver International Mountain Film Festival (“VIMFF”) Photography Competition (the “Competition”).
Deadline: All photos must be submitted by 11:59pm on 31 July 2021 (the “Closing Date”).
Any material breach of these rules will result in disqualification of the submission affected.
Warranties by Submitting Party
- The Submitting Party is the original creator of the work being submitted, and retains the rights required to submit it in terms of these rules;
- The submissions have not been awarded a prize in another competition open to the public before submission to the Competition;
- No material in the images being submitted by the Submitting Party to the Competition is libelous or is slanderous or defamatory or violates any right of privacy or publicity of any person, and the full use of the rights in such images will not violate any rights, including copyright or moral rights, of any person, firm, or corporation;
- To the extent that the Submitting Party may now or in the future be entitled to any so-called moral, author’s or similar rights in the images pursuant to the Copyright Act (Canada) or otherwise, the Submitting Party hereby allows the VIMFF to reproduce, display and archive the images, for use by the Competition and related uses and exhibition, and to modify the image as desired;
- By entering the Competition, the Submitting Party acknowledges and agrees to all entry rules and regulations of the Competition;
- The Submitting Party agrees for their email to be added to the VIMFF email list, and for their relevant personal details to be stored on servers outside of Canada; they may opt out at any time;
- The Submitting Party agrees to indemnify the VIMFF and the Competition, their respective successors, assigns, licensees, and their respective officers, directors, members, agents and employees and hold them harmless from and against any and all claims, liability, losses, damages, costs, expenses (including reasonable legal fees) and penalties arising out of, resulting from, based upon or incurred because of a breach by the Submitting Party of any statement, representation or warranty made by the Submitting Party in this entry form.
- Photos must be submitted through the VIMFF website (www.vimff.org) No mail-in, emailed, or hand-delivered submissions will be accepted, nor any image sent via social media;
- Once a photo has been submitted, the photo may be withdrawn at any time by email notice to the VIMFF, until the final adjudication has been made;
- Submissions must comply with the parameters stated below; any submissions not in compliance may not be considered;
- By submitting any images, you give the Competition and the VIMFF certain rights described below under “Use of Images”.
- Images must be submitted in JPG or PNG formats ONLY. Bitmap, raw formats, and other formats will not be accepted;
- Images should be no larger than 10Mb – if your image is a finalist, you will have the opportunity to submit a high-resolution image;
- Images must be no smaller than 1080 pixels (72 ppi) on their shortest side;
- There must be no watermarks, borders, or text imposed on the image – any image with any such markings will be disqualified;
- The image submitted must have been taken by you, and must not be a copy or derivative of another person’s work;
- If the submission is selected as a winner, a high-resolution image of at least 3300 pixels on the shortest side (300 ppi) must be sent to the Competition in order to be announced as the winner. If such a resolution is not provided, the image will not be considered for a prize, and another winner may be selected.
Use of Images
- The VIMFF may use, free of royalties and on an irrevocable, non-exclusive basis, all submitted images for marketing, promotional and other uses including on the website, posters, fliers, advertisements, and on email and social media, not including direct selling of the images. Examples of this use include, but are not limited to, posting on social media, display at the VIMFF events, and in other marketing material, including newsletters or posters.
- Use shall also include:
- Display at the Festival and Tour, including but not limited to projection onto a screen, display by monitor, or printing and framing;
- Use in media articles (e.g. newspaper or news website articles) about VIMFF;
- In the case of images which win a prize, permission is granted to include the images in exhibitions organized by the VIMFF;
- The photographer shall retain all rights, except rights of use as described herein.
- The selection process of the winning images will be conducted from August 1 – 8, 2021.
- The two winning images will be selected and will be notified and asked to submit high-resolution images; failure to do so may result in the image being removed as a winner of the Competition.
- The two winning photos will be announced via the VIMFF social media channels, including Facebook and Instagram, in mid-August, 2021
- Each winner will receive a prize of CAD$500 which will be made payable to the Submitting Parties by mid-September, 2021.
- All prizes shall be at the sole discretion of the Adjudication Committee, and justification or explanation shall not be required; no appeal or correspondence shall be considered;
- In the event of discrepancy between these rules and any statement made on the website or otherwise, these rules will prevail;
- In the case of any deficiency, Competition management may elect to give the submitting party an opportunity to correct such deficiency, but shall not have any obligation to do so;
- Competition management and VIMFF reserve the right to waive or modify any provision of these rules with or without notice.