How can I buy tickets?
- You can buy tickets in advance from www.vimff.org. This will ensure as much of the money as possible goes to support VIMFF and the filmmakers – you can also make a donation if you want. To help ensure you receive the access code and instructions, add [email protected] to your email address book.
- We also recommend avoiding using AOL, Yahoo or Hotmail addresses, as these more often fail to deliver emails from MailChimp.
- Alternatively, you can wait until the viewing window opens, and purchase a ticket from the Vimeo streaming site – you will be directed here from www.vimff.org once the viewing window is about to open.
When will I receive my access code if I buy in advance?
- First, please add [email protected] to your email address book, to help ensure it doesn’t get sent to your spam folder.
- We will send out the access links and instructions 2-3 hours before the viewing window opens on Wednesday 14 October at noon.
- We will send the information twice, from different mailing systems, to help ensure you get your code as soon as possible.
- You should receive two emails – one with graphics through MailChimp, and a plain text version – the reason is that some spam-blockers will block one, but let the other through, and we want to make sure you get the information! They contain much the same information, so provided you receive one, you are ready to view!
- If you provided your cell phone number and opted in to receive at text message when you purchased your ticket, you will also receive a text with your access link a few hours before the viewing window opens.
- If you haven’t received an email with your code by the time the viewing window opens, please check your spam (junk) email folder. If it isn’t there, please email [email protected] – please be sure to send the email from the email you used when purchasing, or include this email, so we can find your purchase.
What are my options to receive my access code? (Email, text message)
When you buy your ticket, you will be required to enter your email address – we will always send your code and instructions to this email. Please be sure to enter it correctly and to add [email protected] to your contacts list.
You will also be given the opportunity to enter your cell phone number. We will then send you a text message with the viewing link. Please make sure you have entered your cell phone (land lines can’t receive text messages!) and include your country code if outside North America.
NOTE – the text message feature is in beta testing, so please bear with us with any difficulties!
I want to treat my friends so they can also watch. Is this possible?
- Yes! We would love to help you treat your friends.
- If you are all watching in the same location, you only need one access code, but if you are able and want to support VIMFF and the filmmakers, you can make a donation when buying in advance.
- If you are watching in different locations, you can buy multiple tickets in advance, and send one code (and the corresponding link) to each person. They will need their own Vimeo accounts (see http://b.link/vimff-setting-up-vimeo).
Why does it look like it is cheaper to buy on the day?
Pre-sale prices are in Canadian Dollars. If you buy from Vimeo, the prices may be in your local currency – so if you are in the United States, it can look like a smaller amount. The amount you’ll pay will be the same whether you buy before the show or during the viewing window.
I loved the film! Is there a way to donate if I purchased on Vimeo, or if I want to make an extra donation?
Do you offer any discounts?
Yes we do! We want to make the film accessible to everyone, so for those experiencing hardship due to the COVID-19 crisis, we have created a discount code to give $4 off each ticket. Use the discount COVID at checkout to receive this discount.
How is the money shared?
- It is important to VIMFF to help support filmmakers.
- After certain costs (credit card fees, platform fees, some marketing costs, etc) the proceeds are split equally between VIMFF and the filmmakers… meaning your ticket price materially supports the filmmakers whose work you are enjoying.
- Our agreements are generally directly with the filmmakers, rather than a middleman distributor – while distributors perform a valuable function, we are glad that more of the money goes all the way to the end.
How do I get a refund for my Vimeo subscription?
According to Vimeo’s policies, you can get a refund on your subscription in the first 5 days, so don’t delay! You can contact them through https://vimeo.com/help/contact… unfortunately, VIMFF cannot help with the process.
Here are Vimeo’s relevant policies:
Do I need a Vimeo account to watch this film?
Yes, you need a Vimeo account, but only the FREE (“Basic”) version. You don’t need to enter your credit card details or pay anything.
Please watch https://vimeo.com/424648094 to guide you through the process.
If you ended up paying for a subscription, refer to the question above on how to get a refund directly from Vimeo.
What computer system do I need to watch?
- You can watch on your computer or smart TV. You can also watch on tablets or phones, but we don’t recommend it.
- We recommend watching using the Chrome browser – for Apple users, we especially recommend NOT using the Safari browser, as this often causes difficulties with Vimeo.
- For help watching on smart TVs, refer to the relevant FAQ below.
I can see the main feature… where do I find the other films and extra features?
The main film is at the top of the Vimeo page – scroll down to see the other bonus features.
Will the film have subtitles or closed captioning?
- Yes, there will be English subtitles for the film and bonus content.
- At the bottom right of the screen, look for the “CC” logo – click on it, and select the language you prefer (or “none” to turn it off).
- For more information on subtitling on Vimeo, watch https://vimeo.com/358296408
- Note that closed captions are available on some Smart TV or subscription platforms, such as Apple TV, but not on others, such as Roku. Please refer to Vimeo’s smart TV guide for more information.
How to I watch on my Smart TV or Apple TV?
If I pre-purchased my tickets, how do I watch the film?
- On Wednesday 14 October, 2-3 hours before the viewing window opens at noon PDT, you should receive one or two emails (and a text message if you opted in) with your viewing code/s and instructions.
- If you haven’t received your access codes by the time the viewing window opens, please email [email protected], including the email used when purchasing, and we will re-send it to you.
How do I purchase during the viewing window?
Visit https://vimeo.com/ondemand/crossingtheoutback . Click ‘Rent’ and you’ll be directed to login or sign up for a free Vimeo account. Enter your credit card information, click ‘Rent’ and you’ll have immediate access to watch the film and bonus content.
The film isn’t playing smoothly... help!
- If the video is sticking, try close your browser, and re-open. If it is sticking in the same place, click on the playback time-line a little further forward and keep watching.
- If you are still having problems, restart your computer, and only open the browser window.
- If other people share your internet connection, ask them not to up- or download large files or engage in heavy streaming.
Will my access code allow me to watch the film multiple times?
Yes – you can watch as many times as you want during the viewing period.
Is there an option for me to purchase the film to own?
No, we aren’t offering the film for separate rental at this time.
How long is the film available to watch?
Please refer to the event page on www.vimff.org/crossing-the-outback-online/ for specific information. Once you enter your code or make the purchase from Vimeo, you will have one week to watch the film, even if this is outside the advertised viewing window.
Once the viewing window closes, codes can no longer be entered and new purchases cannot be made, unfortunately.
Can I watch the film from anywhere in the world?
The film will be accessible from anywhere in the world for streaming (not download) and everyone that buys a ticket will receive a link shortly before the viewing window opens that will enable you to login and enjoy the film at any time during this time frame.