Written by Steven Threndyle
We’re back and we’re excited to see you at the 26th Annual Vancouver International Mountain Film Festival (VIMFF) starting Friday February 24, 2023! So gather your friends at home or in-person and enjoy the curated selection of films at this year’s festival.
In 2020, we expanded our community beyond the walls of the Rio Theatre, Centennial Theatre and the Kay Meek Arts Centre to engage with an international audience online for the first time. (If you’re reading from outside of B.C., consider this your official invitation to come visit us in-person!)
In 2021, we moved to a hybrid model offering events both online and in-person. We continued to shake things up and in late June 2022, on a scorching June weekend, we launched our first-ever outdoor film event, The VIMFF Summerfest. This event was held at the Shipyards in Lower Lonsdale in North Vancouver and featured films, live performances, music and activities celebrating diversity and Canadian Multiculturalism Day.
Now we’re back for our 26th year, with both an in-person and online festival experience that seeks to inspire, inform, and educate through thought-provoking, entertaining and captivating films.
Here’s six ways that you can get the most from your VIMFF experience – share YOUR ideas with us on Instagram and Facebook.
- Grab snacks and cozy up on the couch with friends and family for an evening of films with the Online Festival Pass
- Share where you’re watching from around the world to join in with the VIMFF community – tag @thevimff on Instagram
- Explore a new skill (like becoming a filmmaker! …or an adventure writer or photographer… or become avalanche savvy) through our in-person workshops
- Invite friends and family (bonus points if they’ve never viewed or attended the VIMFF, previously) to join in for a show or workshop – then take a selfie and tag @thevimff
- Get to know our partners in the lobby, before and during an in-person show plus enter to win door prizes – draw takes place after intermission!
- Hear from accomplished guest speakers at select in-person shows and ask questions during Q&A